Monday, April 17, 2006

Standing on the Roof


So today is my last day off of spring break- I think it will be hard going back to work! That's the problem with having a lot of time off, it's hard going back! So, today I'm packing in everything that I wanted to get done in my week off. My dad came today to help me put my fascia back up. For those of you who don't know what fascia is let me explain (I didn't know until 2 years ago when my first piece of fascia came undone). Fascia is the aluminum that lines the side of the roof. So, my dad who is a great handy man came over he planned that I would go up on the roof to stabilize the fascia while he would nail it in. I start my ascent up the ladder one rung at a time, until I get to the last rung. My dad forewarned me that standing on the roof for the first time can be a scary experience. My problem was as I started to bring my left foot onto the slanted roof and my right foot was still on the rung, I felt unbalanced. I kept bringing my foot back- my dad down below, starts laughing so hard that he began to cry. Feeling compassion for his nervous Nellie daughter he starts to trek up the ladder to assist her. However, I exclaim- Dad don't come up- hold onto the ladder!! So I finally made it up- and once I did it was beautiful to be on top of my roof. I then started to think about the people living in New Orleans who had to climb ontop of their roofs, and not only that- they had rising water to contend with. My empathy sure improved- it seems many of times we can't fully understand something unless we go through the same thing ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home