Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Water



As I'm reading my World Vision magazine tonight- I realize that I totally take for granted my access to clean water. Here's some interesting or rather sobering statistics...

"Drink This"

"The world spends $100 billion a year on bottled water- a suprising statistic because most people who buy it usually have high-quality water piped to their homes for a fraction of the cost. Meanwhile, an investment of a mere $30 billion a year would halve the number of people who have no access to clean water (currently about 1.1 billon) by 2015."

"In Our Lives"

" At home the average American uses 80-100 gallons of water a day. Where some of it goes:

- Flusing the toilet: 5 gallons per flush

- Brushing teeth with the water running: 2 gallons

- Running the dishwasher: 12 gallons

- Taking a 5 minute shower: 25 gallons

Counterpoint: The average African family uses a total of five gallons of water a day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home